Just run XP-More.exe as is. It's portable, no installation needed.
Using the tool is quite straightforward. Following operations are available:
- Launch - starts the selected virtual machine
- Duplicate - create a copy of the selected virtual machine
- Create new - create a brand new virtual machine
- Delete - delete the selected virtual machine
- Edit - open the VM's settings window
- Set Parent Disk - A VM can have a parent VM. This allows you to rebind a parent after moving it.
When XP-More is launched, it first looks for the VMs folder. If it doesn't find the folder, the user is asked to specify its location. In order to remain portable, XP-More stores the given folder in an
alternate data stream
, which is basically a "shadow" of the executable. This way, if the executable is moved, the settings move with it, and if it is deleted, the settings
are deleted as well.
Windows Virtual PC is available on Windows 7 Professional and above. Therefore, that is the minimum requirement. It might work with other versions, which have Microsoft Virtual PC installed, though this is untested. Running the tool requires .NET 3.5 (which
comes with Windows 7).