xp-more no vm show

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Greetings, I have your .exe and have run from the desktop and from the  

C:\Users\williag1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines

all I see are the window XP-More, the About, and the buttons

Launch Duplicate Create New

Create New did pop dialogs to name a new VM but only created a VM shell without the XP OS?

What do you need to diagnose?

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I am not understanding your reply, I am new to codeplex and not sure of reporting errata except by email here.

I have 1 VM configured and when I launched your app, nothing showed in a list as expected.

I gathered you expect this to run from the desktop in order to path correctly, am I correct? 

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Hi Jerry,

XP-More is totally portable, which means it doesn't matter were you run it from. You can move it at will, it won't matter.

Do you already have any virtual machines on you PC? If not, it should explain why you see none. If you don't see one you know that exist, please let me know.

Regarding to the VM creation, it is supposed to be an empty shell - like a new (real) PC with no OS. You can install whatever you like on the empty VM, and then use the rest of the features. Microsoft provides one XP VM called XP Mode, which you can get here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx, so you can start with that.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Greetings, I just downloaded an ran the 1.1 and see the new command buttons.

However I have 2 XP Mode machines setup and nothing shows where the list should be populated.

You are getting the path correct because if I click on Create New I see the path to the

virtual machine folder. I had hoped this app would enable you to easily copy XP Mode virtual

machines, that is copy the .vmcx the .vmc and .vhd and make the tweaks to the .vmc that need to be unique.

Then you could setup all the Virtual XP Mode machines you need and then launch them from your app.

My goal is to have users be able to setup multiple Virtual XP Mode machines with my application software

that uses bluetooth serial ports, I am limited to 7 per bluetooth stack and thus 7 per OS. Now with XP Mode machines I can

have 7 per Virtual machine time 3 or 4, increasing the bluetooth virtual com ports x 7 each VM. I have duplicated the

original XP Mode to XP Mode 1 and see how nice it is to have a VM with minimum configuration. So then it would be

nice to have a backup button to back up the files, since I have blown a VM doing something, so an easy restore is a

requirement. To me XP-More means more XP Mode virtual machines not just more Virtual Machines. Also I need to

get around the manual selection of the USB bluetooth radio that I need to select for each XP Mode VM, and so far

Fabulatech comes closest to an automatic reconnection but they have some issues with fixing a "nickname" for each

USB device of the same kind being shared, do you know of a USB share that allows for "nickname" in the USB Server

and automatic reconnection in the USB Client ??

May 1, 2010 at 1:30 AM

A very basic question. How do I register my default "Windows XP Mode" VM with XP-More? Currently, it is showing an empty list in the UI. I assume I need to perform this step before I can use the tool to duplicate my existing VM....

May 1, 2010 at 1:35 AM

I created a new VM using the UI and the newly created VM is also not showing up? Is this a bug?

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:12 AM

I to have the same issues as "bcby", I have a fully operational VM installed and when I run the XP-More program it does not poulate the list.  There are no VMs listed at all.

I wasn't sure if you had worked this out yet., Thanks in advance

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Same issue, I have several registered VM's, but none listed.  I will try to find the reg key for this (I'm guessing that is where it learns and stores this info)

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:07 PM
Same here with Win7 x64 Ultimate shows no vm at all even though there is a fully functioning one yet this application does not show up the VM in its window.
Jul 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM
Edited Jul 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM

At the first use work fine but after 10 minutes the windows is white, no list of VM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not is possible use this great software, please, why this???

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I have had the same problem. I don't see all buttons and no VM's.  I solve it by changing the display settings.

Under "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display" the text size must be on smaller.

If you set it on medium or larger, xp-more don't show all items.

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM

This is Sept, so maybe it's been resolved. I am experiencing the same... an XPMore screen with all the correct buttons & boxes... just all empty and unable to determine what I need to do to see the 2 XP VM's previously created.  The Last suggestion was font text size... My screen is already set to "smallest", and I've experimented with different screen resolutions without success. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM

use my fork http://xpmore.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:52 PM

If you've put a link to virtual pc on the desktop you will no be able to see your VMs anymore.

You will have to remove the link and edit \\desktop\desktop.ini and remove the line

Virtual Machines.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\VMCPropertyHandler.dll,-100

Looking at the source code i noticed that xp-more simply looks for any references to "VMCPropertyHandler.dll" in *ANY* desktop.ini's in subdirs to user\<username>\desktop.

The first match is simply used (the proper one is located in "user\<username>\desktop\virtual machines")

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM

why do we put there if we use xp-more?

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Radioman , but where is your fix ??
I don't can compiled sorry , you can compiled the correct exe for resolve the problem of the see items???

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:10 PM

try open your eyes and open the link ;]

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Bhooo I don't see..anithink exe :( then please you can post the direct link to the exe with the fix?
Thanks!

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM

are you too lazy to build it yourself ;]

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I am not lazy but I am not able of it, if you have to answer in this way you
can also avoid to write. your post useless is not all are good as you.

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM

tools are the same, launch visual studio, pres F5, that's it ;} Yes, yes, everyone is able to do that, even You "_^. Try to learn something, once

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:55 PM

But according to you all have a compiler on windows?

According to you all owe for strength to have compiled? 

But if you do a job or you make it accessible or you cannot pretend that
all know how to do what you know how to do.  Hold yourself your beautiful
useless job, the 99% of the consumers not use it never!!

Good lesson prof.

by

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:49 AM

dumb consumers ;}

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Small, incapable and vain teacher from psychiatric hospital refuge :D

Make silence, nobody uses your useless codes, because don't learn to get off
the motor of your car  when spoiled instead of bringing it mechanic,
you have many problem at your brain !!

you pick up a girl (without compiler)  ;)

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:21 AM

;}~

Developer
Apr 10, 2011 at 6:54 PM

I created a fork to fix the two different problems I ran across that cause no VM to show:

Problem 1): If you have increased your display's DPI size from 100% to something larger (Medium -125 %, or Larger - 150%), xp-more would not show any VM's and the buttons ended up in oddball locations.

Problem 2): If you had created any links to VM's, xp-more got confused and thought that was a valid VM directory.  So I ignore links to VM's when searching for them in my fork.

Check out the nwboson fork for these fixes: it includes the executable too for you folks that don't want to go through the hassle of installing Visual C# express and ILMerge in order to get it to build.

If you do want to build it yourself, all you need to do is download the source code of xp-more, download the free MS Visual C# Express and download ILMerge from MS.  Once you have C# installed, click on the file XP-More,csproj to open the XP-More project.  Then press F5 to build a debug version, F6 to build a release version, and  use Project->Publish XP-More to publish a OneClick setup.exe program to your C:\publish folder.

Good luck - and thanks to 'xpmore' for writing this incredibly handy utility